Essay Conclusion Paragraphs
Writing an effective concluding paragraph:
Concluding paragraphs are used to tie up an essay in a cohesive and concise summary of the thesis and key points. Although this may sound intimidating, formulating a conclusion can be broken down into helpful tips that will lead to an accomplished ending.
Do not simply restate the thesis. Summarizing and supporting the thesis and main points will lead to a focused essay. Recounting on what was written in the thesis will suggest to the reader that the writer accomplished what he or she set out to accomplish.
Frame the paragraph by reminding the reader of something you referred to in the introduction that will remind the reader of your thesis.Conclusions can also be a place to suggest further research if applicable, make a prediction or comparison, and analyze what the argument of the paper means.Finally, end on a strong note. Make sure to stray from cliche phrases, bringing up new ideas and identical wording used in the introduction or throughout the essay. Instead try these suggestions:
- Writing the introduction and conclusion paragraphs after the body of the essay has been written might help you accomplish this task.
- Include a compressed summary of the main points of the essay and recount why they are important and how they connect to each other.
- Ask a question or use a quotation that may invoke a response from the reader.
- Suggest solutions or consequences.
Keep in mind that an effective concluding paragraph will leave a lasting impression on the reader and remind them of the purpose of the essay. It is also an opportunity to check that essay remained focused and proved and / or supported the thesis.
Some instructors discourage students from summarizing their arguments in a conclusion. Check with your instructor to find out his/her preference.
Check out our PDF eBooks
Hundreds of more printable worksheets and teaching materials
1. GrammarBank Exercises eBook ✔
2. GrammarBank Exercises eBook Vol 2 ✔
3. Verb Tenses eBook ✔
4. Simple Tenses Exercises eBook ✔
5. Perfect Tenses Exercises eBook ✔
6. Supplementary Tests eBook ✔
7. Conjunctions eBook ✔
8. Gerunds and Infinitives PDF (60 Pages) ✔
9. Modals and Similar Expressions PDF (44 Pages) ✔
10. Noun Clauses PDF (46 Pages) ✔
11. If Clauses PDF (19 Pages) ✔
12. Determiners PDF (28 Pages) ✔
13. My Best Friend 1 ✔
14. My Best Friend 2 ✔
15. My Best Friend 3 ✔
16-20. The Adventures of Foxy (5 Story Books) ✔