Present Perfect / Simple Past Key
Complete the following exercise with present perfect or simple past tense.
1. He lived (live) in London for two years and then went (go) to Edinburgh.
2. Did you wear (wear) your hair long when you were at school?
Yes, my mother insisted (insist) on it.
3. But when I left (leave) school I cut (cut) my hair and have worn (wear) it short ever since.
4. Shakespeare wrote
(write) a lot of plays.
5. My brother has written
(write) several plays. He
has just finished
(just/finish) his second tragedy.
6. I flew
(fly) over Loch Ness last week.
Did you see
(you/see) the Loch Ness monster?
7. I haven't seen
(not see) him for three years. I wonder where he is.
8. He hasn't smoked
(not smoke) for two weeks. He is trying to give it up.
9. Chopin composed
(compose) some of his music in Majorca.
10. When did he arrive
(arrive) at 2.00.
11. Did you lock
(you/lock) the door before you left the house?
12. I read
(read) his books when I was at school. I enjoyed
(enjoy) them very much.
13. I can't go out because I haven't finished
(not finish) my work.
14. I have never drunk
15. I have written
(write) the letter but I can't find a stamp.
16. The clock is slow.
It isn't slow, it has stopped
17. Here are your shoes; I have just cleaned
Check out our PDF eBooks
Hundreds of more printable worksheets and teaching materials
1. GrammarBank Exercises eBook ✔
2. GrammarBank Exercises eBook Vol 2 ✔
3. Verb Tenses eBook ✔
4. Simple Tenses Exercises eBook ✔
5. Perfect Tenses Exercises eBook ✔
6. Supplementary Tests eBook ✔
7. Conjunctions eBook ✔
8. Gerunds and Infinitives PDF (60 Pages) ✔
9. Modals and Similar Expressions PDF (44 Pages) ✔
10. Noun Clauses PDF (46 Pages) ✔
11. If Clauses PDF (19 Pages) ✔
12. Determiners PDF (28 Pages) ✔
13. My Best Friend 1 ✔
14. My Best Friend 2 ✔
15. My Best Friend 3 ✔
16-20. The Adventures of Foxy (5 Story Books) ✔