How to Be a Successful Student
COME TO EVERY CLASS!
• Organize a 3-ring binder with separate sections for each class. Insert the class syllabus and handouts for each class. Have a folder to keep graded assignment.
• Bring all textbooks, your class binder, loose-leaf paper, a dictionary, highlighter / marker, stapler, and pens.
• Do all the assigned homework before class so that you can learn the most from the class lectures. Write out the assigned homework on a separate sheet of paper. Be sure your paper follows the format on essay format
• Be sure to get the phone numbers of at least 2 students in each class. Call someone if you miss class to find out what you missed an the homework for the next class. Come to the next class prepared with both homework assignments. If you are absent on the day of a test, come to the next class prepared to make up the test if the instructor allows make-up tests.
• For every hour that you spend in class, be prepared to spend about 2 hours studying outside of class.Participate in class activities and discussions:
• Pay attention to what the teacher says during class. Follow along in the text as the teacher refers to it. Do not do homework during class or talk with other students while the teacher is lecturing.
• Take notes as the instructor talks. Write down everything that the teacher writes on the board. It wouldn't be there if it wasn't important. Do not think you will remember important information without taking notes - you won't.
• Volunteer to answer the teacher's questions. Don't worry about making a mistake or not pronouncing all the words correctly if English is not your first language. Classes are places to make mistakes. That's how we learn. Teachers welcome questions and other students in the class will have the same questions and be glad asked.
• Expect to work in groups. This is a very common classroom activity especially in American schools. Cooperate with the people in your group. Share your ideas even if you aren't 100% sure. Again, this is a place to help each other understand and learn the material for the class.
• Sometimes you will be able to choose your own groups, and other times the instructor will assign you. Try to work with different people instead of always staying with your friends. This is a way to meet new people and to gain new perspectives on the material you are studying.
What’s New on GrammarBank:
Apr 18, 18 03:17 AM
Printable Simple Present vs Present Continuous Exercise 5 with answers-- Online verb tenses worksheets for English learners
Apr 11, 18 04:05 AM
Printable Simple Past vs Past Continuous Exercise 3 with answers-- Online verb tenses worksheets for English learners
Apr 09, 18 03:16 AM
Printable Simple Past vs Past Continuous Exercise 2 with answers-- Choose past progressive or past simple
Mar 30, 18 01:47 AM
Printable Simple Past vs Past Continuous Exercise with answers-- Online verb tenses worksheets for English learners
Mar 29, 18 09:59 PM
Printable and online If conditional type 1 (first conditional) grammar exercise 2 with answers-- Check your answers at the bottom of the worksheet.
Mar 28, 18 08:36 PM
Printable & Online ALL verb tenses practice exercises with answers for English teachers and students
Mar 27, 18 11:36 PM
Past Continuous (Progressive) Tense-- Grammar rules explanations, positive/negative statements charts, yes / no questions, short answers table with examples
Mar 27, 18 11:28 PM
Past continuous (progressive) tense worksheet with answers, use the words to make past progressive sentences.
Mar 27, 18 11:21 PM
Printable and online Past Progressive Exercise 2 with answers- Complete the sentences in past continuous tense
Mar 13, 18 09:03 PM
So that vs In order to exercise with answers - Complete the sentences with the correct conjunction.