Forms of "Other"
|Singular||The other book||The other|
|Plural||The other books||The others|
It means "a different one" when used on adjective, it’s followed by a singular noun but with the expressions such as “time, distance, money” it can also be used with plural nouns.
- Can I have another knife, this one is blunt.
- This knife is blunt, can I have another?
- I need another two minutes to finish the test.
- I need another 10 dollars.
Other (adjective) / Others (pronoun)
It means “different ones”
- There were other people in my room.
- Some people believe that the former president will win the election, whereas others disagree.
- In some myths, the flood comes as a punishment from the gods as a punishment for men’s bad behavior, in others there is no explanation given.
The other / The others (the rest)
- There are 3 books on my desk, two of these are mine, the other is yours.
- Some of the teachers in our school have gone to the school trip, the others stayed at the school.
- This documentary is so boring. Can I turn over to another channel?
Every other + singular noun
- You should take these pills every other day.
(take it one day, do not take it the next day, take it again the following day)
- Write every other line when I dictate. (skip one line every time)