Passive Voice Sentences
Forming Passive Sentences
|Object + A Form of 'Be' + V3|
The letters + were + delivered.
|The top student + was + rewarded.|
Use of Passive Voice
- When you don't know the person who performed the action.
The bank was robbed.
- When it is not important who performed the action.
Harvard University was founded in 1636.
- When the performer is not a specific person.
English is spoken in many countries around the world.
- When you prefer not to mention the name of the performer.
I was told that you didn't go to work today.
- Used with a performer: by + performer
The cake was made by my cousin.
In a passive sentence, If we want to mention what caused or who did the action, we use the agent (by...........)
Active: Charles Dickens wrote many novels.
Passive: Many novels were written by Charles Dickens.
See passive voice tense chart
|GrammarBank Video Exercises (New!)|